Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cilantro Bruschetta

Last Thursday was a friend's birthday, so we gathered in her honor and BBQ-ed on the terrace of another friend, which overlooked the whole, gorgeous city of Quito. I wanted to bring something to the shin-dig (my mother once told me never to show up empty-handed), and the birthday cake had already been dibbs-ed, so I opted for an appetizer. Bruschetta. But the more I thought about it, the less I wanted it to be something normal (this food blog obsession is starting to be a problem--or something really AWESOME).

How could I make bruschetta different? I could look for a recipe online, I could do fruit, there was a whole section in the Martha Stewart website. But no. I was going to make it Ecuadorian-style. What does this mean? Here 'tis, too bad I don't have a photo.

Bread
Olive oil
Several tomatoes
An onion
A bunch of cilantro
An avocado (or more, we used it as spread)
Lime juice (I didn't actually have this as you had to buy a whole BAG of limes, and really, who needs that many limes--me apparently as I am making a lime yogurt cake for another birthday this weekend)
Dash o' salt

I chopped everything up, put olive oil on the sliced bread, toasted it over the BBQ, and then served it up. Done.

It sounds a lot simpler here than in real life...with people complaining that they were starving to death...I almost didn't survive (fortunately someone handed me a glass of "Valle de Mar" vino...$4.39 at MegaMaxi).

Queso Fresco probably would also be good on this, that is, if I liked queso fresco :)

No comments:

Post a Comment