Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cobbler de Moras

Apparently my love of all things "C" only extends to cooking...its not true, I definitely rank concerts and a great trip to the cine ahead of cooking, so I'm sorry for the misrep.

After bragging to the study abroad crew about the incredible apple pie I made on Sunday (and seeing their watering mouths), I decided to test out my cooking skills on my new friends. After a morning walk/run, I went on a hunt for "moras," the Latin American equivalent of blackberries. The viejcita who normally sells them on the corner of Calle Portugal y La Avenida República de Salvador was missing, so I stopped by the frutería near my house (where I bought apples for my pie this weekend), no luck. I walked back down the street to the other frutería, where after some questioning, I did find some moras, and purchased $2usd worth, a fair bit.

(The thought of buying blackberries is strange and foreign to me. We have so many in our backyard/park/neighbor's backyard etc that it has never occurred to me to buy them. Talking with a fellow study abroader, though, I found that you CAN buy them in the supermercados en los Estados AND they are EXPENSIVE!!! Sooo strange.)

But anyway, I was hoping to reproduce the incredible blackberry cobbler that my first boyfriend and I used to make roughly three times a week during late summer/early fall. Unfortunately, he did not respond to my facebook message and I was forced to make it by memory (Yes, I could have easily found a recipe online, but a) that is not my style and b) one of life goals is to bake sin recipes...and cuando en Ecuador...).

Here is the recipe I used (ish, and I didn't actually use a measuring cup):

1 c flour
1 c sugar
2/3 ish c milk
Dash o'salt
TB ish baking powder
$2usd worth of moras (blackberries)
a bit of mystery oil that was in my host family's cabinet
A pan. (I used a 9x9, I definitely remember using a 9x13 in high school, but it didn't look like I made enough batter for that size. In retrospect, a 9x13 would have worked just fine.)

a) Mix flour, sugar, milk, salt, and baking powder together.

b) Pour mystery oil into the pan (this is to keep it from sticking, I remember using half a stick of butter when I made it back in high school). You need more than a spritz of Pam. The batter needs to float on this stuff.

c) Pour batter on top. Do not mix.

d) Put moras on top. You can press them in, but do not mix. I put as many on as I can.

e) Toss in the oven at about 180C (350-ish F? I have no idea) for about 45 minutes, or until it appears done.

So. I don't have photos, but this def didn't turn out like the ones we used to make in high school. Don't get me wrong. It was delicious. I think a combination of pan size and amount of baking powder came together to create something more cake-like than cobbler-like. After it cooled and fell, it was about 3cm tall instead of the 1cm cobbler I used to make.

Also the moras I bought are similar to blackberries but not the same. They were a little tart, although not unpleasantly so...I stand by my decision to only use 1c sugar.

As for reviews from the study abroad crowd? It was gone in about 5 minutes and I heard nothing my "mmm...¡muy rico!" and "delicious" so I guess it was a success...if only we'd had ice cream. (and a camera).

Oh, just received the recipe
1c flour
1c sugar
1c milk
1c berries
1tsp baking powder
1/2 stick butter (melted in 9x13)

No comments:

Post a Comment